Mother Mary Says

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Dance lessons

Jon and I are going to take dancing lessons! There is a new dance that we need to learn ASAP. It is called the retirement dance. We hear that it is has the trickiest moves ,so we decided that lessons were in order.
We saw a couple of examples of how difficult it is recently.
First, I was driving somewhere and saw a couple on a bicycle built for two. Now that is quite a feat. Not to build it but to ride it. There can be no mid- course corrections by the passenger in the back or quick turn by the rider in the front. And the destination is not up for grabs. I even noticed with these experts, that they had headphones to communicate with each other which we have heard is vital for success.
I am afraid that I would not make a good candidate for that bicycle. I would want to stop at the Dollar Tree and Jon would keep pedaling. He might want to head to We Donuts and I would lean the other way. I saw, in this living illustration, that lessons were vital.
The second example we saw on TV. It was about a set of conjoined teenagers. They are bright, vivacious girls who are now 16. Each girl has a distinct personality. They too need lessons. One wants to go away to college and the other wants to stay home and go to JC. Watching their lives hit us hard as we contemplate this new chapter in our lives. What cooperation, what surrender of rights.
Then I thought about Paul’s statements -
It is no longer I but Christ who lives in me.
Consider others are more important then yourself.
Or Solomon -
Two are better than one for they have a good return for their labor. If one falls, the other can pick them up. Pity the one who had no one to lift him up
Or how about ‘No man or woman is an Island‘?
So we have seen that the key to the retirement dance is surrender to the needs of the other. and
Stay tuned to see if we can win the dance contest with our new step.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home