Mother Mary Says

Friday, September 28, 2007

Don't give up

Well, fall is in the air. Time to plan for your fall garden.
First a quick look around our yard: The marigolds are gone now, a victim of the snails finally. Gone too are the lovely dahlias who succumbed to the petunia moth. I guess she couldn’t find enough petunias at our house this year so moved on, taking with her the verbena too. The impatiens are leggy and will be the next to go, making room for pansies and primroses and cyclamen, soon.
A quick story about our pesky crape myrtle. It has not produced much for several years and this year Jon was going to remove it. But, before he got to it, it came out with lovely blooms. About the same time, I read in Luke 13:6-9 a parable that was just our situation. Jesus had been talking about unrepentant people and applied it to a fig tree.
The farmer had a fig tree that did not have any fruit. He told the vineyard keeper that for three years there had not been any fruit, so cut it down.’ Why should it use up the ground?’ The keeper said this year let me dig around it and fertilizes it and it if bears fruit, fine, If not, then you can cut it down.
Like the keeper, God is the God of second chances. I am so glad that when my life seems most messed up and unfruitful, that God gives it tender care. He prompts someone to pray and someone else to write a note. He moves the Pastor to use the word to reach me. I hear a song on the radio or see the personal care God gives my humming bird and I begin to flourish again.
Our crape myrtle got a second chance too and flourished.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home