Mother Mary Says

Friday, June 29, 2007

NO!

Today when Buddy and I were on our walk, I was distracted. That is never a good thing. I don't remember what I was thinking but my mind sure was not on dog patrol. I was not checking for oncoming cars, dogs, old men in sweaters( that is story in itself) or cats. I was just innocently walking toward the park, checking out my neighbor's moss roses and enjoying the companionship of my dog on this warm summer morning. Now that I reflect, perhaps I was thinking about the morning's plan, tea with a friend, dash home for lunch and then off to the movie with my daughter( a rare treat). Who knows? At any rate, suddenly Buddy shot forward into the ivy hedge. I pulled back on his Gentle Leader( there is lesson waiting to be explored), and said, " No!" The object of his pulling was a nice juicy gray cat. He was in hot pursuit. Ah, but the beauty of the Gentle Leader is that where the head goes ,the body must go too. With a quick 'no' I proceeded forward to the park and he had to come along, gripping as he went.
" That was a nice fluffy, juicy cat. Why Can't I chase him? You are always saying I need exercise. I wasn't going to hurt him, just rough him up and little and maybe slobber on him. Do I have to leave the pursuit and follow you to the park? Boring!"
" I said No and I meant No. Come along, forget about it."
As we walked to the park, the word" NO" kept running through my head. "Where have I heard that before" ,I asked myself? Then it hit me. Paul wrote to Titus telling him to say "No" to desires in conflict with God's will and live self controlled lives in this present age, while we look for His appearing.
Huh? How does that apply to me?( I could see how it applied to Buddy)
Say no to holding a grudge
.Say no to passing on that gossip.
Say no to bending the truth to protect my image.
Say no to that second bowl of popcorn after a big dinner.
I could see, in my mind's eye that God has a Gentle Leader on me too in the from of His word. The choice is, will I follow along with a repentant spirit or grip all the way?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home