Mother Mary Says

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Cruel taskmaster

The last couple of weeks I have been extra tired. That is probably because Jon's work hours have changed. Instead of 1:30- 10:00 PM he now is on days, 6:00 AM to 2:30. So we are up at 5:00 AM and then I proceed to my time alone with the Lord, my work, my walk, etc. By the time bedtime comes I am pooped. Often I try a nap but I am usually not able to sleep.
One day this week I was dragging and needed to get busy with watering and my walk. It was 6:30 AM and I had zero energy or enthusiasm. Yet, I heard this little voice in my head saying, 'you have better suck it up and get going. You have lots to do and you don't want to be known as a slacker.'
Before I could even drag my chair back to get up, the Lord spoke very clearly in my mind. He reminded me of a concept in a book I read recently.( The Rest of God by Mark Buchanan) The Israelites in Egypt had cruel taskmasters to make sure that they worked 7 days a week and have not rest. But God rescued them and drown those slave drivers. I am not to revive those masters that he has removed. If I refuse to rest, I am subject to them again. I spurn the gift of rest.
My slave drivers are in my head. They hate for me to rest. They tell me lies such as " you can't rest until your work is done".
The truth is that it will never be done. Buddy makes sure of that, for one thing.
The rest of God is not a bonus for work completed. It is a sheer gift, a stop work order from God in the midst of work still undone.
So I slipped back to bed, napped and then had energy for all the things I needed to get done.
I am vowing to keep those taskmasters drown. How about you?
So get some iced tea and put your feet up with a good book. It's a gift from God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home