Mother Mary Says

Monday, June 04, 2007

Balance the book

Today I did my least favorite job- balance the checkbook. I would rather iron that do it but today was the day.
First I have to gather all the slips and the checkbook and the statement. Then add and subtract and hope that the bank and my register balance or agree. I realized I forgot to list and subtract the gas I got the first part of May- UGH! I looked and looked for another entry and feared I have forgotten to enter it too, but finally found it. I almost pulled my hair out over another error. Finally the moment of truth.
I was off a few cents. Good enough for me.
Many think that God does the same for us. He looks at his register of our good deeds and our bad deeds and hopefully they balance out. He adds some things we forgot about - that unforgiveness we are holding on to, that gossip we passed on and added to and the smart crack we made about the neighbor down the street. Then he subtracts the deeds we were so proud of because we already received man's praise. Will I ever succeed to make heaven this way?
No way!
The truth is that God only has one book that He checks on and the Bible calls it the 'Lamb's book of life.' If your name is written in there, you are part of the family and spend eternity with the Lord. If not, no amount of 'good deeds' will get you in. You can have your name written in there when you believe that God raised Jesus from the dead and by faith put your trust in HIM . Then God writes your name in the book and marks PAID in FULL. Jesus makes it balance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home