Mother Mary Says

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Wilted bouquet

It is funny the things I see that relate to my life.
Today I was watering the trees and plants on the other side of our fence. I have to put the hose over the fence( by the way it sprung a leak so I will have to go out later and got a new one) and walk around to the bike trail and field behind to reach the thirsty 'babies'. I have to do this several times a week. I know, you are thinking, why not either put in a gate or a line under the fence for sprinklers. Too much work I guess. Anyway, I walk on the rest of the way after watering so I get a walk out of it.
We have some huge pampas grass but this year they had not had any plumes. Jon has thought perhaps it was my 'way'of watering. Ugh. Anyway, today I noticed several plumes coming up. I began to feel smug about the 'way' I water. Obviously it IS productive.
Quick as lightning the Lord spoke to me.
" Can you make one thing grow?"
" No, I can't really Lord. In fact, you know the things that don't grow for me. Like my rose bush that is again only leaves."
" Who am I called in Jesus' discussion about gardening?"
" The Gardener", I replied.
So what is the point of all this?
When I take glory for myself, it is like a wilted bouquet. Let me explain. That thought comes from a quote by Corrie Ten Boom.( Don't know her? Check out the movie or book by her called the Hiding Place set in WWII Holland)
She says" When you receive a compliment, think of each one as a flower. Gather them through the day and offer them up to the Lord before bedtime. Otherwise they become a wilted bouquet." That wilted bouquet comes from hoarding some credit for myself. Jesus alone is worthy of ALL praise.
Excuse me, I have some dried flowers to get rid of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home