Mother Mary Says

Monday, July 11, 2005

I know that voice

We returned to the Filoli gardens this weekend. This time we were joined by my Brother Tim and his wife Diane was well as a friend of ours, Dennis. As soon as we had eaten lunch, Diane and I wandered off through the gardens, chatting about books, kids and life. We thought that the guys were right behind us, but somehow we lost tract of them.
At one point, we thought that we had located the. We saw a man with a floppy hat just like my brother's. But, on closer inspection, Diane mused that she was glad that she had not come up behind this man, who was obviously not my brother, and pinched him on the buns.
The more we searched for the men, the more floppy hats we saw. We began to think that someone was selling them in the parking lot at three for $10.00.
So on we walked, enjoying the beauty and our comfortable conversation. Then, off in the distance, I heard Jon's voice. After 33 years, I would know it anywhere. We followed the sound and discovered our guys ambling along chatting away, just as we had been doing.
In the same way, Jon heard my voice and knew we were coming. We had to retell the floppy hat stories and Diane did pinch my brother, much to her delight and his discomfort.
On the trip home, I reflected on the special day and the uniqueness of a person's voice.
Jesus had something to say on this subject. "My sheep know my voice and they follow me". My relationship with the Lord is also of 33 years duration and I do recognize his voice when he speaks to me, in my mind. As I soak in his Word, I learn how he thinks and what he wants so I don't mistake another's voice for his.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home