Mother Mary Says

Sunday, July 03, 2005

I promise

We all know that a promise is an assurance given that the person will do something. At my wedding, at age 17, my husband promised to be faithful until he died or I did. Unfortunately he neglected to keep that promise.
I had told countless secrets to close friends and many have readily said, "I will never tell a soul" and yet they do!
I have loaned money, a book, a sweater, etc that people vowed to return and never have.
I actually have more ex-friends than I want to admit who said they were going to be my friend for a lifetime and yet, I don't even know their addresses any more- at their request.
Somehow I don't think that I am alone in this. I bet everyone has had a promise broken, at least once. To make matters even worse, I have broken promises myself- without meaning to, of course. The promise to take my kids or grandkids somewhere and my schedule conflicted. I have vowed to pray for someone's urgent request and when they tell me the result, I silently kick myself for not following through.
So how does this apply to God? I have been studying about faith this summer- about believing God is who He says He is and does what He says He will do. Yesterday I heard a song that backed up God's claim that He never makes a promise and doesn't carry out that promise.( Numbers 23:19 if you want to find it).
The words in part:
Promises of mercy
promises of love
Faithfully spoken to me
Every word from your voice
Solid as a rock
Not like the sand of the sea.
I'm believing God. What about you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home