Mother Mary Says

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Too much

This week my friend gave me a bag of cherries and that took me down memory lane. Many years ago my boss had four cherry trees. He had a unique method of getting them picked. We would have a dinner at his house and then all pick the cherries. We could each take home a big bowl full.
We deposited ours in the frig. Next day, after work, I came home to have a nice hand full of cherries and the bowl was empty. I called the girls to me and Debe declared that most of them were not good so she threw them out! I'll bet. Lucky for her, she did not get sick.
Micah, my middle grandson, was not so lucky. He loved prunes so we sent a bag home one Sunday evening. The next afternoon he came to play with Grandpa. Good thing they were outside on the grass for the WHOLE bag of prunes he had eaten decided to leave his body just then. He was long out of diapers so Jon just stripped him and hosed him off. Not big deal, but a lesson learned.
We all know that excesses are not good for us. Too much sleep makes you lazy. Too much food makes you heavy. Too many 'spirits' impairs your judgment and messes up your life. Too free a use of credit cards, destroyed your financial freedom.
But I have found one thing you can't over indulge in. Pursuing the Lord. You do get FAT( faithful, available and teachable attitudes). You get an abundance of peace and rest. Being over filled with the Holy Spirit just means that you spill out on others with joy that doesn't give you a hangover. In short, being addicted to Jesus is well, the only safe over-indulgence.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i remember those cherries, the silver bowl you'd put them in, the weight of it on my thighs as i'd sit cross-legged in front of the television, popping one ripe fruit after another into my mouth. overindulge i did... and i somehow have no memory of consequence... only the taste and texture of the best cherries ever.

    - deb

     

Post a Comment

<< Home