Mother Mary Says

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Tattoos

Today I realized that I am prejudiced. I hate to admit it but I couldn't avoid the lesson. We arrived at church tonight and I saw a lovely young woman with a very large tattoo in her upper arm. I looked and then looked away, not wanting to stare but wanting to stare, if you know what I mean. It was covering most of her upper arm and all around it, it seemed.
The service began and then I noticed that she was in the worship team! And she did not have a sweater or shawl to cover up her tattoo.
Then I heard God say to me," Isn't she lovely, praising Me?" In that moment, I got it. I had let what was painted on her arm stop me from seeing her beauty, as though is changed her or devalued her. UGH. I hate seeing my sin.
Really there is nowhere in the Bible that says,' though shalt not have a tattoo' that I know of. I guess it is cultural for my generation.( Though I see many men now my age with new tattoos!)
As I took my walk after church, I remembered a favorite verse which says that God has me( and any child of his) inscribed on the palms of his hands.( Isaiah 49:16) I have thought that that referred to the nail prints but perhaps it's a tattoo!!!!
So I will not judge, I will not judge, I will not judge.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thank you for your tireless writing and the way you find truth in the simple things. your faith is an inspiration to people who you may never meet.. at least one, i mean, and that is me. you are like a flower blooming in a storm.

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it always interests me, the externaml things we alllow to seperate us, and use to judge one another, rather than cutting through it to reach the heart.

    this one is close, of course to my own heart.

    deb

     

Post a Comment

<< Home