Mother Mary Says

Monday, April 11, 2005

What is love?

Recently I was talking with a friend who is going through a challenging time with her granddaughter whom she has raised since a very young age. Her post-teen, whom we shall call Abby, has been rude, thoughtless and ungrateful, to name a few of the actions that are causing my friend to feel weighed down. This bubbly young woman who was once a cuddly little girl is now wanting the privileges of the over 21 and none of the responsibilities. Sound familiar?
As I remember those days with my girls , I also remember what I felt was vital in the midst of the battles, LOVE. The relationship was more important than the current issue. Now how do you define that?
Paul did that for us:
Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.( is not self- centered)
love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
Love doesn't strut.
Doesn't have a swelled head.
Doesn't force itself on others.
Isn't always,'me first'.
Doesn't fly off the handle.
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others.( ouch)
Doesn't revel when others grovel.
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth.
Puts up with anything.( but not to the point of physical pain)
Trusts God always.
Always looks for the best.( though it may take a microscope)
Never looks back.( forgives and lets it go)
Keeps going to the end.
I Corinthians 13:4-7 from the Message
I know that I have a long way to go. In fact, only Jesus can fill this list all the time. But as I depend on him to fill my life, I hope that more of this begins to show to those I love, beginning with my family.
It may not change Abby but I know it will bring peace to my friend's heart to love her granddaughter as God has loved her, unconditionally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home