Mother Mary Says

Friday, April 01, 2005

Bird funeral

When I got up this morning there was a dead dove under my patio table. I felt so sad. I have become quite attached to 'my doves'. They often come to the window if their feeder is low. I have even had them fly into the window on more than one occasion , leaving the imprint of feathers there. I love their cooing . So peaceful sounding. Perhaps that is why they are the symbol of peace.
I was feeling so sad. Jon declared we had to bag it and put it in the trash due to possible West Nile Virus. I have devastated. No funeral? We have had many animal funerals in our family. One house we moved out of I feared the new people would think we were some crazy cult if they even dug too deep in certain places. But I complied and put the poor thing in the trash, reluctantly.
The death of the dove reminded me of the last 'animal funeral' we had. It was, in fact, a bird funeral. Our parakeet had died and I had' saved him' until our grandsons came over so they could be at the funeral. I admit, before Debe says it, I put him in the freezer! So how is that different from the cooler at the mortuary???
Anyway, Gabe declared that we had to have a song. I drew a blank. What was appropriate for a bird funeral anyway? Finally I came up with, "When the roll is called up yonder I'll be there". I do believe that animals will be in heaven so I felt it was OK to sing it. Gabe said a prayer and we buried our bird under the ivy.
I thought of a better song later,"When I die, Hallelujah by and by, I'll fly away."
This week's events remind us that we too will die some day. 100% of us, the last time I checked. Are you ready?

1 Comments:

  • At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    actually it was declared in the newspaper, that if you find a dead bird, it should be reported to the local government, so they can do an autopsy.

    Not to physically touch it. We even have government fly traps around town for the 'fruit fly' issue... you just have to know about them to see them.

    so yeah, it should be reported when you find a dead bird. crazy it fell on your table.... maybe it's a sign. hope not.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home