Mother Mary Says

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

It's not fair!

If our girls said it once, they said it a trillion times in their growing up years, it's not fair. Of course I can't remember all the situations now but one sticks out from Debe's Freshman year of high school. She had begun school with a new pair of jeans. She came home the first day declaring she was the only one in the WHOLE school who only had one pair of jeans.
"It's not fair", she whined. Everyone else has two or more. Why do I have only one pair?"
I smugly replied the time worn phrase, " Life is not fair". I guess I meant to convey the thought that not everyone gets the same privileges.
To end this incident I have to say that my dear friend Fran told me her son Chris said the same thing. So I guess that at least two kids at Downey High had only one pair of jeans to their name and should have been thankful. And no, I did not run right out and buy her another pair.
I am sure that Ruth said those words when Debe got to do something at an age she had been denied it. I know that both girls said it relating to things we allowed the grandsons to do at an age and stage they were not. (I must be getting soft in my old age!!!)
Today I saw that I was wrong all these years. Life is not fair, true, but maybe it should be.
Case in point:
Why is it fair to starve a disabled woman to death? The only answer is that it is not fair and I hope that our nation figures that out before I or my family members become that disabled woman.
Think about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home