Mother Mary Says

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Flawed

Have you ever noticed how flawed the people around you are. They have faults, they are defective in some way, they make errors in judgment and do things so entirely backwards. For example, the old toilet paper thing. Now everyone knows that the paper should hang down from the top , not to bottom! Or how about toothpaste? Do you squeeze from the middle, the top or, correctly, from the middle, carefully rolling up the empty part as you go?
Some faults are not as 'innocent'. The difference of opinion may be about when to fill up the tank with gas. Not a problem ,unless you are the one who gets it and it is on E and you have no time to stop. I correctly fill up as soon as it gets to be 1/4 a tank.
Some defects are personality traits that just grate on you. Talking too loud or too much, or being silent and sullen most of the time. Perhaps it is a hair trigger temper.
All of these 'flaws' cause us to withdraw from the person, only relate superficially or become critical. That is where I really struggle, being judgmental. My Obsessive/Compulsive kicks in and just plain self-centeredness, I guess. I see my way as the right and only way.
I have a song in my repertoire that fits here:
Once there was a man who thought he was so wise
That he tried to give his friend just a little advice
But he could not get near him, no matter how he tried
For a big log was poking from his eye.
'Let me try, let me try
Let me try to take the splinter from your eye'
But he could not get near him, no matter how he tried
For a big log was poking from his eye.
There are two keys I guess.
The first is to focus on my flaws, UHG!
Secondly, I need to focus on the good qualities in that person and trust God to finish perfecting his defects just as he needs to perfect me.
Well I have to go now and get the log out of my eye. It's funny, I never noticed it until now!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well. hmmm. god is huge. so to be christ-like I have to ignore my synchronicity's (thought process), I have to live in denial (for a moment)to become more. I must digest it all after, all of my crazy thought patterns. I am only human.

    I personally like denial. not. It helps me re-adjust to what I need to find comfortable. then i come out of denial because i understand my space.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home