Mother Mary Says

Saturday, February 12, 2005

The ticket

My close friend Pamela's husband died last week and we attended the funeral yesterday. The sky was gray and opened up with rain just as the graveside service started.
I want to extend a tribute to my dear friend, Pamela. She always said that Bob was God's gift to her. 4 1/2 years seems to short to enjoy that gift, she told me at the service. As the Pastor shared about Bob , I was reminded that Pamela was God's gift to Bob. She brought love, creativity, fun and her Savior to their relationship.
We were honored to be at Bob's baptism and then 7 months later to celebrate their wedding with them. As a radiant bride she came down the aisle to Dennis Jernigan's song, Thank You. Part of it goes like this: "Thank you for loving and setting me free. Thank you for giving your life just for me, How I thank you, gratefully thank you..."
Had Pamela not come along, these last years of Bob's life would have been very different; lonely, empty and hopeless as one organ after another failed him. But her vibrant faith effected him and today he celebrates in heaven though she grieves his loss here on earth.
As I watched her yesterday, my heart was gripped with fear. How would I ever be able to deal with the loss of my Jon? I am ashamed to say that I wept for myself as much as her. Then God reminded me of a story that Corrie Ten Boom loved to tell. She was dealing with fear one night and her Father asked her:
" Corrie,when do I give you your ticket for the train?"
" Well, when I get on ," she replied.
" In the same way, God does not give us the grace for something in the future. He gives it to us at just the moment we need it"
That speaks for itself.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thank you for this. it was beautiful.

    - deb

     

Post a Comment

<< Home