Mother Mary Says

Friday, February 04, 2005

Cookie Sheet

Today I have another cooking story to share. It all started because of some bananas that were about to 'go over the hill'. Not wanting to waste them, I decided to make banana bread. When I got the little pans into the oven I concluded that it was a good time to make cookies too and use the same heat. So I whipped up some molasses cookies and popped them in above the banana bread. The house smelled heavenly. Too bad I could not sample either when they were done!
Finally all was cooked and I was left with the dirty pans. YUCK! As I wiped down the cookie sheet, I was reminded that not so long ago, I would have just cooled the pan and stuck it back into the cupboard. Since the cookies did not stick and I do not grease the pans, I didn't' consider them ' dirty'.
About a year ago, a dear friend of 35 years commented on this practice.
She said" You are so fastidious about everything else that I find it odd that you don't scrub your cookie pans too" Needless to say, I was humiliated ( not her intention I am sure), and ever since I have faithfully washed my pans.
As I reflected on all that today, God showed me a parallel. I am careful to deal with 'big issues ' in my life and keep 'short accounts' with God. But, often, like the cookie sheet, I overlook 'minor offenses against God', not seeing them as' very dirty.'
So right there, over the dishwater, I told God,
" You are free to show me those crumbs in my life so that I can be really clean like my cookie sheet. Thanks for caring that much about me to gently show me the 'dirt'."


2 Comments:

  • At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    two words: popcorn bowl

    i am now convinced that the bowl is where all the flavor came from.

    deb

     
  • At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    DITTO on the Popcorn Bowl -- and yes, THAT IS where all the flavor comes from!!

    Ruby :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home