Mother Mary Says

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

BBQ

OK, I have to admit that I am hooked on a cooking show. I love watching Rachel Ray make dinner in 30 minutes. So yesterday I set out to create the perfect meal. We were to have BBQ chicken, brown rice, and asparagus with homemade biscuits and jam. I heated the grill while I rolled out the biscuits. I took the chicken out to cook and dashed in to slide the biscuits in the oven. Then I dropped the asparagus in the water and put the brown rice in the microwave to heat. Things were progressing right on schedule. With 5 minutes to go, I walked out to turn the chicken and dash on the lemon pepper. A big surprise awaited me. The chicken looked the same as it did when I slid it onto the grill- raw! I realized that the propane had run out at just that moment.
Now the 'perfect dinner took a different turn. I ran into the kitchen with the chicken,relieved that the biscuits were almost done, which would free the oven to broil the bird. I will save you the details of my dancing, hopping and waiting. The dinner was done, though the biscuits were not piping hot and the asparagus was overcooked. That should have been the end of the story except for a note on my to do list about the propane.
But last night God gave me another insight about all this. When we set out to do something for God,we try to get it all perfect. We check and recheck to make sure we have not over looked any detail. But after it is over we see that it was, at best, half baked like my chicken. Without the Holy Spirit ,we have no power source. Jesus said' without me, you can do NOTHING". Good lesson learned, in cooking or serving God. Next time, I will make sure that I have the ' power.'

2 Comments:

  • At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really enjoyed the BBQ story and your application.
    sis, Rosalyn

     
  • At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm hooked on the same show...I love Rachel Ray! By the way, thanks for blogging! ~Jenn

     

Post a Comment

<< Home