Mother Mary Says

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Whose is that?

Sunday was such a beautiful day that Jon and I decided to take a nice walk. Usually we head toward the regional park but since we had weeded in the area behind our back fence( which has a bike trail and an open field) the day before, we decided to walk that way. While we were there, we intended to check out the progress of the city crew working on the new street( yes, on Sunday!).
As we rounded the corner, we spied what appeared to be a tree or something in the middle of the trail.
" I hope that that is not one of our Redwood trees" Jon said.
" It better not be" I countered.
As we got closer, we saw that it was not ' our tree' but someone's used Christmas tree- well really two trees and other yard trimmings. They were just dumped right on the trail behind our fence.
Jon, ever the good detective, realized that he knew where the trees came from. Seems that someone on our street had missed the city pickup of trees in early January and it had now sat in front of their house for three weeks. Well, not anymore! Following the clues, he discovered where the suspect had driven his truck through the field and on to the trail so he could dump his' garbage'.
We were both livid. Why did they go out of their way to get rid of their trees. No telling, except they were tired of looking at it each day. Maybe Mrs. 'Nasty Neighbor' told him to get rid of it or else.
As we drug the trees and branches to the central collection point, I brooded over it all and got angrier and angrier.
" How about dumping this back in their driveway under cover of night?" I yelled." Or better yet, why not the whole contents of our garbage can?" I fumed.
Jon just stared at me and kept dragging another load. I guess he thought it was best to let me wear out . Just then a quiet voice spoke in my mind.
"That's what it's like when someone dumps their verbal garbage on another Such words come unsolicited, can wound deeply and often infuriate and, like these trees, are best kept to yourself. Proverbs 15:1 says a gentle answer turns away anger."
I chewed on that mentally as I helped Jon finished the project. After which we took a nice long walk so I could cool off.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home