Mother Mary Says

Friday, February 18, 2005

The sign

I would like to know who determines what is listed on a road sign. It seems that no matter where I am going, my destination is never listed. Take our recent trip. We needed to switch from Interstate 5 to 99 north in Sacramento. Several miles out we saw the sign clearly marked - San Francisco 50 West and 99 North. Boy, I thought to myself, this was too easy. Of course. I spoke too soon. The next sign said SF 50 West, exit here. No mention of 99 north so we proceeded along in innocence. For whatever reason, I looked to my right in time to see that 50 West AND 99 north were together several miles away on another interchange which was no longer accessible. I glanced up to discover that we were heading to Reno! If it hadn't been so maddening, it would have been funny. The sign with 99 north was only visible after you turned on 50 West. There was nothing to do but get off and turn around and head back to the interchange. Hopefully we would get off in the right place, since there probably was not a sign directing us to our highway. Good thing that I was hyperviligant as there was NO sign, again!
I would like to say that it was the only error I made as our co-pilot but it would be a lie. Being overly suspicious of all signs at this point, I vaguely remembered a trick turn outside Oroville. Yes, there it was, coming up.
"It's a trick", I said." we don't' want to go to Chico and the other alternative from the sign is Quincy and we sure do not want to go there( there is quite a story there for another time)."
We decided to turn toward Chico, only to discover after checking the map that we were heading the wrong way, AGAIN! At least it was easier to turn around than on the freeway. So we headed toward Quincy. Who knew? The next intersection listed Paradise, finally. Well, all is well that ends well, I guess. But I wonder if the sign guys get a kick out of all the lost travelers along the highways.
Jesus made sure we couldn't miss it when he came. He said "when I am lifted up( like a sign) from the earth, I will attract everyone to me." Now that's a clear sign. Brutal but clear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home