Mother Mary Says

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Pop Quiz

I did not really like tests in school. Especially true and false or multiple choice. Give me an essay question any day. If you write long enough, you are bound to hit the right answer. Even more I hated pop quizzes. I tend to over- prepare to insure that I do well and pop quizzes panic me, lest I not be able to recall the material on the spot ,without studying ahead.
What does a test reveal? Where you did not learn the material in a way to be able to recall it whenever. It shows the material you need to go back over so the next time you can pass with flying colors. For example, if you gave me a page of problems with fractions today, I would have to find a refresher course online before I could answer them correctly. Or, I guess that I could just give it back to you and say, no way. I give up.
Well, I think that we, well ,at least I, have just received a SERIES of pop quizzes this week.
Jon's Medicare card has not come and now we find it will not be active until March first, leaving him without insurance for 29 days ,when he has cancer. Will I pass this test of faith here or panic?
The timing of receiving income will change Feb 1st and I wonder how will the bills get paid on time? Will I pass that test of faith?
There are many side effects to the hormone shot that Jon is getting tomorrow. Will he end up with just a few in his body and emotions or the whole gamut? Will I pass this test of faith either?
The thing about tests comes from the first chapter in James where I seem to have just hung out recently, not moving on since the Lord has much to say to me each day. James says that the tesing of your faith produces perseverance. In studying this I discovered that God is not trying to find out what grade I will get. He knows. He wants me to discover where I am in this faith walk, so that I can correct any errors. So I am going to have to do a refesher course, maybe beginning back in Hebrews 11. Those believers persevered and did not give up. But they had pop quizzes along the way. When they failed, God took them aside and taught them tenderly.
Want an example from that Hebrews 11 list?
Amraham passed his wife off twice as his sister out of fear( the opposite of faith). He got a D- at least on those quizzes! But after 25 years of lessons, he obeyed God and took Isaac to Mt Moriah ASAP. He got an A+ on that test.
So back to study for me so that I can pass the next test. I want to trust God with all my heart with whatever tomorrow brings. I don't know about tomorrow, but I know who holds tomorrow and I trust who holds my hand.
So I won't give up and walk away but ask the Spirit to teach me beyond head knowledge so that faith is my default response to the next pop quiz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home