Mother Mary Says

Thursday, January 24, 2008

The perfect gift

I love receiving gifts. Now I don’t mean big expensive things For me, the fact that someone selected something just for me, touches my heart. Jon, for instance, has a way of knowing what will bring a tear to my eye, or his girls eyes for that matter. He is, as I term it, a’ good gift picker‘. On a Christmas not so long ago he made a scrapbook for each of his girls with pictures from their childhood. That had to be given with lots of tissues. This year he found a calendar with of pictures of Deborah’s beloved Santa Cruz and she cried over it. Ah, just the right gift.
I, on the other had, while I love getting gifts, have a harder time selecting the right thing. I have learned from his lead and hope that I am doing better in this.
As I continue to hang out in James 1, I discovered that God is the best gift giver. Check out this verse:
Every good and perfect gift comes down from above, from the Father of heavenly lights with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow. James 1:17
In light of that I thought about the recent gift that we , well Jon, has received- cancer. So is that a good gift? How can that be? But taken in context James says that trials ( that variegated yarn kind) produces perseverance and maturity. So while at first glance, we cried, we know that God is good and there is not even on trace of evil in Him, so this gift is good and perfect. It has been selected just for us, at this time.
Sometimes when you open a gift, you only see the first thing, but often there is more in the box. The Spirit said to me” don’t miss what else is in this ‘box’. And what did I find, in the midst of the tissue paper?
James 1:18 says that we have been born again to eternal life. So even if this cancer takes his earthly life here, he has a better gift - eternity with Christ.
So if you have opened a gift lately that you are not sure is good, get perspective and keep digging, you too may find that the best is in the package too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home