Mother Mary Says

Monday, January 07, 2008

Discipline

When we first got Buddy, he was 5 years old. I could tell that he had never been trained on a leash, so I set out to take care of that. I had trained other dogs with a choke chain and so proceeded to do the came with him. He did pretty well right off.
I remember one day I was walking him and training him to stop and sit when I stopped. I have Micah with me at the time, who was about 9 years old at that point. He was growing impatient with this stop and start method of walking.
“ How long will it take to train him, Grandma?”
“ I don’t know Micah. I have only been at this about a week. I have been working on you for 9 years and you do not have it all perfect yet, do you?”
He did not appreciate that comment, to say the least.
Often when I am walking Buddy, I get very upset with other dogs who are not disciplined. Maybe they are not on a leash.( my worst nightmare) Or maybe they are ankle biters, really ankle biters. I had one the other day and the owner just stood there and watched their dog nip my ankle!!! At any rate, I long to train them but they are not mine.
Also I find myself in public places and see children that need to be corrected. But , of course, I can’t do that. I am not their parent.
When you think about it, discipline really shows that your are a parent and love your child. The child who is never corrected grows up to lack self control and respect for authority. I suspect that they also question the love of their parent.
God is the best parent and he too disciplines his children for their good. He does not do that for unbelievers , only for his children. The goal is always peace and right living. It is a sign of his love. And as the best parent, he always has his love in mind as he metes out the measure of correction that we need. It may be painful but it makes me feel secure. He cares.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home