Mother Mary Says

Thursday, December 27, 2007

GPS

A couple of months ago I received a shower invitation from the daughter of a dear friend. I had already knitted a lovely baby afghan so all I needed to do is circle the date on my calendar. The day arrived and I headed out to the shower.
Now I know that I should have looked up the address before I left but I was running late and still had to get a gift bag on the way. Anyway, I was confident that I could find it. How hard could that be?
The first clue of impending problems was that the street was not on the map. Yes, I love maps . I wonder really how often they update GPS systems anyway. Probably not any better than maps.
The next idea I had after I had purchased my gift bag was to try the Real Estate office on the strip mall where I was. No such luck. They were not open yet. Next I called my friend's cell phone but only got
"Leave a message and I will call you right back".
I sure hope so I mumbled to myself.
So I circled the block where I thought the street was located, mystified.
'It has to be here somewhere ', I said to myself, hoping to cheer myself up.
I tried the number given to RSVP but got the same frustrating message
" Leave your number and we will call you right back"
HA!
Around the next block. Then I saw a kid holding a arrow sign and wiggling it back and forth to direct people to a new subdivision. Interesting, I thought but only if it were a possible job for Micah.
Over another block and I was now sweating and have to turn on the AC.
In the next block I saw the mail man and pulled up and stopped. I showed him the address and he gave me precise directions.
The funny thing was that as I turned headed in the direction he had given me, I saw the kid with the arrow again pointing to the turn I needed to make! Go figure! Why had I ignored that the last time?
In light of the Christmas season, I thought about the wise men who were invited to a baby shower of sorts too. They grabbed their maps, and gifts and set out. We are not told if they got lost in the desert but we are told that God sent and star in the form of a pointing arrow - a 'star with a tail as big as a kite.'
Unlike me, they arrived long after the birth of the baby. Come to think of it,though, if God has not sent along the mailman and the arrow sign, I might still be out there wandering myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home