Mother Mary Says

Sunday, September 23, 2007

The tale of two shawls

Last winter I drew Ruth’s name for Christmas. She wanted a shawl. I had not made one before so I found the right pattern and decided to make one in leftover yarn to try it out before purchasing the lovely yarn she selected. It came out fairly well, though it hard work figuring out the directions. I was glad that I have done a sample as it turned out I had to adjust it for the real shawl. I decided to keep it for future reference. It is a blah white and very plain. The real thing was lovely and she looked great in it.
This summer my dear friend and knitting teacher created a beautiful shawl for me of aqua yarn with an intricate angel pattern woven in. I could never had created it myself. It is truly a work of art. It holds not resemblance to my trial shawl or even the real one for that matter. The best part of it all is that I did not have to do one thing- it was a gift of love. My only job- receive it with gratitude.
In the spiritual realm I have two ‘shawls’ too.
One is my self righteousness. I work very hard at it- trying to please God by all I do, feeling smug about how I am better than others. But it is not the real thing. It does not please God either.
The other is a gift from God - of Jesus’ righteousness. I don’t have to do a thing- it is free and very intricate. I could never have achieved it myself. It is a free gift of God. All I have to do is receive it by faith, admitting I can’t create it myself. Then live my life it gratitude every day for that gift.
Which shawl do you have? Don’t settle for self righteousness. It is like the emperor’s clothes- leaves you naked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home