Mother Mary Says

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Long Line

On Saturday Jon and I went to Home Depot to "window shop". We were checking out a new front door, outside lighting, new perennials and counter tops. Of course we had to investigate the 40% off sale on outdoor furniture. What we really needed was new cushions for our patio chairs, but no such luck.
BUT, they did have their vinyl wicker chairs on sale. One lonely one was left and it was 'injured.' I said, why not ask for another discount? So I hit up the garden manager and he said
'Sure how about another $10.00 off?'
I was so pleased with myself.
We finished our other browsing, and having snagged a DVD on outdoor lighting and a counter top sample, we headed to the garden checkout. That is where it got messy. First off, there was only one checker and it was Saturday afternoon! And the only line was moving way too slow. I tapped my foot and grew more and more impatient. I hate getting in just such a line.
Why is this store so inefficient. Why did that lady have to buy something that required research. Can't she see we are all waiting. On and on went the mental complaints in my head.
In frustration I decided to entertain the lady in front to pass the time. I interviewed her about what she was buying and why. Finally the line moved and we were at the front.
Good, I thought, we have only three things and the manager already did the slip for the markdown.
But, no, it was not to be a short checkout. We had to wait for a manager to override the computer. In the meantime the line got longer and longer.The man behind us had big bags of white rock and I began to think he would open them and begin throwing them. The guy two behind him had a massive pile of cement block, destined to what I was not sure.
I looked their direction and told the apologetic clerk,
'They are going to send me hate mail.'
It took 20 minutes to get the help we needed. I could not leave fast enough.
In the car, I began to sing again that infamous song:
Be patient
Be patient,
Don't be in such a hurry
When you get impatient
you only start to worry
Remember, remember, that God is patient too
And think of all the time that others had to wait on you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home