Mother Mary Says

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Comedy of errors

Well, it really was not funny but I am learning to laugh at myself.
Yesterday I had several errands to run and felt so efficient. That should have been the first clue. I stopped to get several mailing envelopes, to save the cost at the post office. Then I dropped Jon's prescription at Kaiser. No problem so far.
Next stop was the post office where I had quite a few packages to mail . I had a hard time finding a parking place but finally landed one about a block from the station. I arrived to a long line of people since it had been closed the day before. I still have to address the envelopes I had just purchased, so stepped to the table to do so, only to discover I did not have my pen. I dumped my purse out, to the amazement of the waiting line of patrons. Still no pen.
Nothing to do but trudge back to the car and hope I could find it. I was not able to locate the missing pen but did have a spare in the glove box. I picked up the packages I had dropped at the curb and next is where being obsessive paid off. I felt my pocket for my keys, as i always do, and you guessed it- they were on the car seat of the now locked car. Not to worry, I fished out my plastic key from AAA and proceeded to try to open the door. No way, in fact, it appeared that the plastic key was about to break off. Now what?
I felt the Holy Spirit nudge me to try the driver door. YEAH! Open sesame. I grabbed the keys and the rest of my stuff and headed to the post office. From here on, the story is too boringly normal to matter. Thankfully.
But I did find that I was able to laugh at myself and the silly things that had happened.
Solomon says there is a time to laugh, and this was sure the time. In the past, I might have berated myself for being stupid but that could have ruined my whole day. Instead,laughing at myself diffused the tension and I was even able to repeat this to Jon today and laugh again. If Shakespeare could name a play 'Comedy of Errors', I can see yesterday as my Comedy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home