Mother Mary Says

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Knitting

I re-learned to knit about a year and a half ago from a dear friend. Like most beginners today, I started with scarves and everyone that first Christmas got one.
Then one of Deborah's friends, Jenn, was going to have a baby so I decided to take the plunge and make a baby afghan. It was a big project with a pattern I have to follow carefully. Being Obsessive I made a graph to chart out each row. Why? So I would not have holes or one side shorter than the other. I chose aqua yarn since I did not know the gender of the baby yet. It was so soft and yummy- if that is possible for yarn.
It came up super, though it took longer than I had supposed and was bigger than the measurements in the pattern. I found out that I had used the wrong size needle! The mother was kindly thankful and I was relieved. I had a lot more of me invested than if I have purchased a gift.
Did you know that God knits too? He knit me together in my mother's womb. Skillfully and wonderfully. According to the pattern he had in mind for me, just as I did for Jenn's baby blanket.
In Jenn's blanket there were holes around the border- intended holes that gave it character. They were not accidents, though I make plenty of those, trust me. But these were right there in the directions.
In my creation, there was what might seem like a problem or accident, in the 'knitting' of my pancreas. I have pancreas division which has left me with chronic pancreatic. It was not a mistake, but in the pattern God had for me. Just as the holes in the border of the baby afghan had a purpose, so this pancreatic problem has had a purpose too. It causes me to lean on God each day. I don't take my body for granted. I need God's strength to get me though each day.
Remember, God's knitting projects always get done on time and perfectly, unlike mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home