Mother Mary Says

Saturday, April 15, 2006

The table

Yesterday I had an experience that had implications beyond it's design.
I took a class called AIDS 101. I was there as a volunteer gaining info to reach out to those who find that diagnosis leaves them lonely. The rest of the group were there as a requirement of their probation. There in lies the story.
Each guy I am sure had a unique story:
The young man who came on his skate board.
The drug user who explained to me that you have to be careful not to get the water too hot when you boil your needle.
The man who had a limp and poor speech as though he had had a stroke.
The ' pick up truck 'man who was mostly quiet except joking when he felt uncomfortable.
The guy who seemed to be the most educated and was glad to be there instead of being locked up, again.
Finally, the very quiet withdrawn guy- I could not really figure him out, except he was the only one who seemed to know how to use a condom!
That hour showed me a world that I have not experienced before.
When I was done at the class, I headed to the Good Friday service. As I was praying and thinking about the meaning of the day, I pictured that famous painting of the "Lord's Supper". In my mind's eye, I saw the guys from my class seated around the table. And Jesus was extending mercy and love to them.
God, you really meant it when you said that you love the world and sent your Son that whoever believed in Him should have eternal life, including my 6 fellow classmates. May they understand that you are passionate and holy and wild, not condemning and wimpy and boring.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:41 AM, Blogger Brad said…

    Wonderful post. I have always hoped my life would be a continuous education, and this is a fine reminder that around each corner is a new lesson.

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger sue said…

    You constantly amaze.

     
  • At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do you know how much I love you and your daughter!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home