Mother Mary Says

Friday, March 31, 2006

Talk is cheap

My Dad had lots of sayings like this:
Talk is cheap, whiskey costs money.
Another way to put that is: put your money where your mouth is.
They were great one liners, kind of like the book of Proverbs. I took them for granted as a kid but they are a treasure to me now.
The book of Proverbs, in fact, is the source of my latest dilemma. It's really the fault of that infamous 'Proverbs 31' woman. Until recently I saw her as the spiritual Martha Stewart. But in my most recent reading I had another insight about her.
Yes, she was a very busy woman, up before dawn and dropping into bed, who knows when since is says her lamp does not go out at night. She made the cover for her bed and I only make the bed. She brings her food from afar, and I just try to see how far it will stretch. On and on the list goes.
But it was verse 12 that I chose to apply:
She brings her husband good and not harm all the days of her life.
How I long for that to be true of my life. In word, action and attitude, to do my husband good. But I have to admit that I quickly failed the test.
We recently purchased a new TV and Armoire to hold it. My dear Son in law helped carry it up to our second floor family room. He committed himself to come back the next time he was in town and hook it all up.
Yesterday Ruth called to say they were going to be in town this weekend and would be willing to come and hook the TV up.
Jon said "No, that is all right. I am going to have new carpet and hate to have to move the TV since it is so heavy. We can wait".
UGH!!!
I told Ruth that we were not going to be doing that that soon and having a new TV and not using it was just plain silly. Why did we buy it now anyway? I vented my frustration and hung up.
Then I turned to mopping the floor and the Spirit said to me
" Are you doing good and not harm to your husband?"
"Huh?"
"To put it another way, do you have books you have not read yet, or yarn you have not used yet?"
Then I realized that I was speaking words that did not build up or encourage. It was a case of the pot calling the kettle black. I repented then and there. I didn't want to get a whooping from the Lord.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home