Mother Mary Says

Monday, August 15, 2005

Phobia or Palindrome

You do really know what a palindrome is, you just never knew the word for it. Neither did I. It is a word or phrase that reads the same backward or forward. For instance, Pop or Mom. How about Toyota? Or the phrase' part radar trap'?
In our family we have a well guarded secret. Now it is a secret no more. Jon has a phobia of 'star'. Can you guess what that is? Let me give you a hint? It's a rodent with a long skinny tail and sharp teeth. "rats". But we only use the word star. You can see that this is a palindrome of sorts.
So why this fixation on star? Well, one has appeared on our backyard. Unfortunately it arrived about the same time that Jon decided to change the chair he sits in at the table. Now he can see into the patio, not just the wall.
As he was talking to his sister on Sat., he began shrieking and waving his hands. You see, among other tasks, I am the pest control agent.( Don't mention to him that he used to do pest control professionally. I think that is where he developed this phobia. He had to go under someone house to track down star. UGH.)
At any rate, I headed out back to hit the thing with water- to no avail. Next I brought the bait box from the side of the house and felt I had done my duty. But, alas, at lunch today, I watched in silence as the star feasted on leftover bird seed, again and again. Then, it happened. Jon saw it out of the corner of his eye. I calmly told him I would get some new bait today.
He said " Keep all the doors tightly shut and don't let the dog out there. It probably has rabies. I will bring home bait."
The moral of the story, you have to take drastic action to deal with pests, in your garden or your life. You can't just hit it with water and hope it will wander away. Poison is the only solution.
I'm glad that God is in the 'pest control business' and he has 100% success in ridding pests from any life that calls on Him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home