Mother Mary Says

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Cover your mouth

My Father always said that I was vaccinated with a phonograph needle. The meaning? I talked too much.
When Ruth was in kindergarten she got in trouble for talking too much. She even had her mouth taped shut. Today, that would be a no-no.
Deborah's report cards always included a note that she talked too much.
So it should be no surprise, given the family track record ,that this week I spoke when I should have kept my mouth shut.
One of my favorite woman author's is Barbara Johnson. She says that when pain is freshest, words should be few. Too bad I didn't listen.
King Solomon put it this way:
When words are many, sin in not absent. But he who holds his tongue is wise.
Even a fool is considered wise if he keeps silent and discerning if he holds his tongue.
Even my dear departed Father in law had a word on this. It was not an original thought. It was borrowed from Solomon:
A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.
Interesting quote coming from him! He claimed it was his Father's favorite verse.
I am so thankful that the one who endured my babbling, insensitive mouth was a gracious forgiver.
Enough said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home