Mother Mary Says

Friday, June 10, 2005

Snails revisited

An article in the paper today about snails, reopened my hatred of them( sorry PETA members). There were a few clues about them that gave good insight. One reason they are so prolific is that they are hermaphrodites and all have the potential to lay eggs. They lay up to 80 eggs at a time, 6 times a year!
There were details about bait too. They admitted what I have known all along, that they eat it until it makes them feel full and they stop and die. But note that they are EATING, despite the bait you put out. And it take a few days before they ingest lethal amounts.
The lady in the article handpicked snails every evening! As if I didn't have anything else to do. And she had a tortoise to feed them to, which I don't. I don't think I can train my dog to eat them.
All this was swirling around in my head when I read Habakkuk, in the Old Testament this morning. And you thought your name was bad! But the last verses were gardening verses and I decided to do my own paraphrase.
Though the marigolds are eaten to the ground by snails and the petunias fail to bloom, thanks to the cutworm. Though the fuschias succumb to whiteflies and the rose bush only makes leaves. Though the tomato worm gets the tomatoes and the melons fail to set blossoms, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, the master gardener. I will find joy in God my Savior and not let the curse of Adam to keep me from enjoying the Creator of my flowers and bugs.
And as a recovery promise, I will not obsess about plants that die under my care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home