Mother Mary Says

Friday, June 03, 2005

Short cuts!

Today it was 91 degrees and summer is here for sure, despite the calendar which says not until the 21st. And being the cheapskate that I am, I don't use my AC in town, the stop and go is hard on my engine I tell myself. Don't want the radiator to boil over( though it never has in THIS car)! So that makes my tale 'HOT'.
I spent most of the afternoon at the hospital encouraging a friend through surgery. As you can imagine, by the time I returned to my car, it was like an oven inside. I rolled down the windows and headed to the freeway and the 30 minute trip home. Once on the freeway, I turned on the AC. AH! It felt so good. The only drawback was I had the right window down and was now unable to roll it up. Oh well, at least some cool air was blowing around the car and on me.
Up ahead I noted that the traffic was very slow.
"I hope that is not an accident", I thought to myself. "I want to get home, out of these clothes and really, why didn't I go the restroom before I left??? Well, I will just have to go with the flow."
Further up ahead there was a sign that said, through traffic left two lanes. Now, was I through traffic since I did not want to get off until Modesto? Or did I belong in the right lane now? I toyed with getting off in Ceres, to avoid the slow traffic, but decided to just creep along with everyone else.
As we entered the Modesto area, I decided to get off before my turn to expedite this process. Alas, so did everyone else. The traffic was backed up to the 7th street bridge from the off ramp.
" Short cut huh?"
Well, I turned off the AC and rolled down the window. No need to roll the other down now. What should have been a quick route turned into another 25- 30 minutes. It all seemed so logical to me. How could I now be sweating in my car, fearing someone would rear- end me on this side of town and probably not have insurance to boot. Why, oh why did I not just stick to the usual turn off? I thought I was such hot stuff. Well, I was HOT.
I did make it home, no dents, just sticky clothes and a good lesson learned. God says" don't lean on your own understanding." It can be flawed. Short cuts to God are about as effective as my short cut today. The only difference is that I did finally arrive at my destination. Short cuts with God may not turn out as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home