Mother Mary Says

Friday, April 15, 2005

It's all about attitude

What a day we had on Tuesday. Jon had a Doctor's appointment late morning. We arrived and they did not have us on the schedule. He did not like the time it was scheduled for anyway so he was willing to reschedule. But they said,' no, here you are!' Jon just grumbled to me that I had better not schedule at this time again. I should have known better.
The office was very full for the end of the morning. That should have been our first clue. If Jon did not have to be at work in 1 and 1/2 hours this all would have been a 'so what.'
He put his paperwork in the tray and we found a seat. The magazines were outdated and that was bad enough but the next thing was enough to push us right over the edge. The pizza deliver guy came through with big boxes for the whole staff. The smell was so good. That precipitated a line of nurses and staff coming and going with pizza and a drink. We began to involve the other patients waiting in plots to grab the next slice. It sure livened things up, though we never did get any pizza.
Then Jon said 'it's so hot in here. Perhaps I can prop the door open'.
The other patients gave their input but to no avail. We just had to sweat and drool.
Next he noticed a set of buttons.
' Maybe this is the thermostat'. Turned out it the security alarm. Not a bad idea since no one was at the desk now.( I wonder where they were???) But it was decided that that might get us thrown out and be a waste of the time we had already invested.
" How about the fuse box just over there? Throw the switch and they would come out for sure." Jon does not give up easily. But someone commented that the Doctor might be in the middle of a procedure and that could be disastrous. So one more plot down.
Next a patient came out and then passed out. That brought several staff to pick him up and wheel him back to the inner sanctum.
"Hey, I could try that too". Jon was getting really desperate now. " Just a thought".
Finally the patients began to be called in, one by one. I guess the pizza was gone. We got in one hour late and Jon was one hour late to work.
What prompted me to tell this at all was the way Jon adjusted his attitude. He was upset at the office, upset at me, upset at the situation. But he did a quick adjustment and began to find ways to entertain himself and the other patients. I accused him of being like his grandson Gabriel!
Jon started out grumbling and complaining and then, like the son in the parable Jesus told, he decided to do the right thing.The story goes like this. A Father asked two sons to go out in the field to work. The first one said 'sure Father' and never did. The second one said,' I don't want to' but later went and did his share of the work. Jesus asked his listeners 'who did the will of the Father?" Of course, the second one.
Jon is a example to me of a man who is real but conscious of pleasing God too. I Hope that I can remember that the next time things in my life get goofed up.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can SO see Pop stirring up trouble in the Dr.'s office. Let me know when you go next and I'll send him a pizza of his own.

    d.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home