Mother Mary Says

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

The resume

I was thinking about resumes today. You, know, that short account of your career that you prepare for that new job you are looking for. In it you state who you worked for, when you worked for them and what qualifications you have from those jobs for this one. I find them boring reading unless you are like a dear friend of mine who tends to embellish the truth a little. She even includes the jobs she did on her grandfather's horse ranch. Now, her grandfather did have a ranch and a horse, but not in her lifetime!
You often tailor the resume for the position you are applying for. You include the minor bookkeeping you did if they are looking for a full charge bookkeeper. You add the supervision of the brownie troop if the job requires supervisory skills.
If I had to write one today, 5 years after my medical retirement, I would include, nurse, vet, chef, librarian, administrative assistant, liaison with Government agencies, Interior detailer, full charge bookkeeper, corresponding secretary and more.
What brought all this up was Job's resume that I read this morning in the Bible. It was written by God Himself, describing Job as blameless, upright, fearing God and shunning evil. I looked up those terms so that I could get a handle on this. Blameless and upright refer to his being a man of integrity, of high moral character. Fearing God means being awestruck by God and living in such a way as to maintain an intimate Father- child relationship. One part of that is avoiding evil.
I pondered all this and wondered how God would write my spiritual resume. Am I honest in my relationships? Do I keep short accounts with God? Do I live a life that enjoys close fellowship with God because I consciously choose to obey Him?
In the long run that seemed to me to be more important than my vocational resume. And yet, if those things are true of my life, they would make me a good employee too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home