Mother Mary Says

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Being hunted down

I'm feeling quite proud of myself this morning. I took a power walk early, in spite of my post yesterday about hating exercise.It happened this way.
We were out earlier than usual with our dog this morning. Now some of you know that our dog has a' teeny' problem. Well, OK, it's a major problem. He is very territorial on the street, hating other dogs, cats, pickups, etc. When he sees one he barks, snarls, jumps up crazy, growls, etc. You get the picture.
Back to my power walk. Jon had him on the leash and we headed for our favorite park. Coming toward us were two Golden Retrievers, thankfully on a leash. Buddy went ballistic, thrashing, etc. When we got him turned to go the other way, we saw another dog and master coming from the other direction. At that point, Buddy lunged and jerked Jon's arm so hard he groaned in pain.I had to grab Buddy and head out another way ASAP. We power walked toward another park- navigating two cars and a pickup uneventfully. Almost to the park I spotted a loose dog, our worst nightmare. I back tracked full speed to the vacant lot behind our house where Buddy finally 'did his thing'.
Now we were only 1 1/2 blocks from home. No problem, or so we thought. However heading our way were the two Retrievers again. Jon tried to wave the lady around but she was oblivious. On she came, only to turn down our street. I was behind a bush, hiding, waiting to figure out what to do. Jon suggested I wait a few minutes and then proceed down our street and home. So that is what I did. We then sped down our street and in our gate, safe! We were all exhausted. That was definitely aerobic exercise, don't you think?
After I got my breath, I though about how thoughts can chase me around and around sometimes. Appearing here, showing up there, just like the dogs on our walk. In much the same way, I have to take charge and choose what I will think about, not let my mind me run around in circles. God says, think on the things that are true and noble, right and pure, lovely and admirable, excellent and praiseworthy. That will bring a peaceful,'safe' mind, like we had a peaceful dog, safe behind his gate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home