Mother Mary Says

Friday, March 04, 2005

Exercise, ugh!

I have a love/hate relationship to exercise. Either I become obsessive about my latest "sport" or I can't get motivated to get off the couch. When I was into jogging, I was committed to run every day, even in the dead of winter in Idaho,. I even kept a diary in which I recorded my pulse each morning before my feet hit the floor. Then I would add how long I ran that day. To show you the obsessive nature of all this, I remember crying one day because some salesman stayed too long and I lost my chance to run that day. As a side story, I fell one day and lost the diamond out of my ring.!
But that did not deter my running. But what did was my knees. The pain became too fierce and I was told that my running days were over. I have had fits and starts at exercising since then. I have tried aerobics with Richard Simmons. It's fun but I feel silly. I have a great place to walk but want someone to walk with me.
It seems that every week I read another article that says exercise is so vital. It reduces heart attacks, diabetes, and even hot flashes. The more I read, the guiltier I feel for being a couch potato.
My grandson is into pumping iron. I have some weights. Well, OK they are 3 pounders. I don't see much benefit except sore muscles in my arms Then there was the Total Gym that Debe insisted was the 'end all to end all'. All I got was pain in my lower back. It's probably just as well since I would have begun another obsessive cycle.
The Apostle Paul even talked about exercise. He said,"workouts in the gym are useful but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit for both today and forever." Now that's advice that I can take without feeling guilty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home