Mother Mary Says

Friday, March 11, 2005

Non-potable water

Today I left late to get my hair done. To add to the situation, there was construction on the route I had chosen. This narrowed the traffic down to single file. As we inched along, a large water truck crowed over into 'our lane'. He had the oddest sign on the back- Non potable water. As I crawled along, I tried to figure out what that meant. Not fit for a pot? Not drinkable? Perhaps both?
I had to check in my trusty dictionary when I got home. Of course you already know that my guesses were correct. Considering the way we have gone to picture signs instead of written signs, I am surprised that it did not at least say "don't drink".
God talks about non potable water too. Only in this case it is even worse. Through the prophet Jeremiah, God said that his people had turned away from Him the spring of sweet living water and had dug their own cisterns- ones incapable of holding sweet or potable water. They were thirsty in their souls and refused the best source of water, preferring to seek other ways to quench that thirst. That describes our day too. We work longer hours, run harder from dawn to dusk, and play more intensely than any other generation, but are more empty inside. Oh that we would come to God who is waiting to satisfy our emptiness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home