Mother Mary Says

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Heroes

Heroes, we all have them. As a young girl, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans were my heroes. I loved the way they rode, and sang and always got the bad guy. I even had a home movie of me in my "cowgirl suit" complete with hat. It is a family classic.
In High school ,Mr. Kaiser was my hero. He was my Biology teacher. He was smart and knew so many thing about animals and loved to pass that knowledge on. He was very kind too. I have to admit that my hero worship progressed into a crush. I hope that he never knew.
As an adult, I have always been awed by those people who accomplish great things against even greater odds. For instance there is a young gal in the Iditarod this year who is legally blind. Or take the teen I just read about who is a very good wrestler but has no legs.
The Bible has a list of heroes too in Hebrews 11. Noah who built that famous ark when is had never rained. Abraham who hoped in God against all hope in himself and became a father at 99. Job who trusted God rather than deny Him when he had one loss after another. Each seems to have had a crisis of faith and trusted God rather than the circumstances.
I met another hero this week, though he would not see himself as one. This man dreamed of being a missionary pilot from a young boy growing up in the Philippines where his parents were Bible translators. He trained in the US and 6 weeks into his first term fulfilling his dream he fell from a Mango tree and was paralyzed for some time. God did restore his ability to walk but other complications prevented him from piloting overseas again. But, in spite of his demolished dreams, he trusted God and has found purpose in training others to fly and go where he can not.
I was stuck again at how knowing Christ changes dreams and goals, but most of all, it changes who is the center of a life. It is not longer I, but Christ. He is my last and greatest hero.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home