Mother Mary Says

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

What's the truth?

You may remember our trip to Alameda and walk to that quaint cafe. I reported how we had to stand out in the rain quite awhile waiting for a table. But I forgot a fun story that begs to be told.
Since the doorway of the cafe was full of other patrons trying to stay dry waiting, we moved over to the doorway of the dry cleaner/tailor shop. As you may remember that is where Diane and I counted our resources. What I did not tell you is that it was a very busy place. Men were going in, not staying long and most often coming out with nothing! I had no idea that dry cleaning and alteration was such big business.
Perhaps because we had already thought about how our counting looked like a drug sale, we began to speculate as to the TRUE nature of this establishment. Or it may be that we both like English mysteries. At any rate, as more people came and went, I grew more suspicious.
" I bet this is a drug operation" I whispered to Jon under his umbrella.
" You read too much, girl" he replied.
I tried hard to not stare, but it was almost impossible as we were just inches from their window and we had nothing better to do.
Finally a lady entered the shop and sat down. She seemed to be browsing through a catalog. Huh! That did not fit my theory at all. I kept my eye on her and, to be honest, everyone who came or went.
" Look, someone finally has picked up dry cleaning. What about that, super sleuth?" Jon asked me. I just ignored him.
Then three big men entered the shop and disappeared. Just as suddenly they re-appeared, with the owner. He finished his conversation with them and they walked away.
" Waiting for lunch?" He asked me.
" Yes, I hear it worth the wait,too",I replied.
He didn't look like a drug king. Then he blew my theory completely. He told us that he runs a men's clothing store, tux rentals,uniforms for work, etc. The last three men were with the San Francisco DA's office and needed uniforms for court. Boy,did I feel silly. I guess Jon is right, too many mystery novels has lead me to be suspicious and make snap judgments.
Fortunately God looks on the heart of man and never judges by outward appearances. That's a good model for me to follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home