Mother Mary Says

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Two are better than one

Yesterday we drove to the Bay Area to visit with my brother, Tim and his wife, Diane. One of the things we look forward to when we come, besides just being together, is a nice long walk. Yesterday was no exception. They live in Alameda on the San Francisco Bay. We usually walk, eat lunch and then walk home. This time we drove to a shopping center, parked the car and walked in a new area, the lovely older homes of the city . As luck would have it( though I don't believe in luck) the little sprinkles turned into a deluge. But we were good scouts because we were prepared with umbrellas. So we just popped them up and continued our walk to our location, a quaint cafe.
When we finally arrived, there was a long line outside. Seems that the location is well known and the food worth waiting for , which it just what we did.
I have forgotten to relay a vital part of the story. As we walked along, my brother declared that he only had one dollar and I did not have any money . But, not to fear, Diane and Jon had money. Well, Jon did. He confidently said that he had a twenty. Diane was uncertain how much she had in her change purse! As we waited, she opened her purse and counted the money into my hand. I began laughing because it looked like a drug deal there in the doorway of the dry cleaner/tailor.
" I hope that's enough" she quipped.
I do too, or else we will be washing dishes", I replied.
After quite a wait, we gladly took our seats in the little( and I mean little) cafe. There was so much to choose from both on the menu and on the "specials" board. But we finally made our selections and sat back to wait again.
Diane took the time to do a quick tally.
" You should have had water, Tim, instead of that glass of apple juice. It probably put us over the combined total of our funds. Oh, well. I guess you will have to go across the street to the market and get cash with our ATM card."
Diane and I exchanged glances and laughter.
"I guess I will not have to wash dishes after all" I giggled.
When the check came we actually had enough to pay the bill and have a bit left over.
It is funny how that sort of thing sticks in your mind. Just as odd was the fact that God gave me a verse to end this. Ecclesiastes 4:9,10 says " 'Two are better than one,or in this case four are better than two. If one falls,the other can pick him up. Woe to the one who falls and has no one to pick him up" He might just have to wash dishes!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home