Mother Mary Says

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Better or best?

Today was my yearly eye exam. It is like 'old home week' for me since I worked in the office for 16 years. During those years Ruth and Debe had numerous exams and in high school we finally agreed to purchase contacts for each of them. Up to that point they had worn glasses since they are both near sighted, Debe much worse than her sister. Proof of that, beside the chart, is that Ruth would not wear her glasses at school . She preferred to guess who was approaching her by their shape. Debe would have thought she was at a zoo, if she had to depend on shapes, not being able to read the big E without her glasses.
Now to say that their adjustment to the contacts was uneventful would be a gross exaggeration. Debe promptly lost one of hers the first day of school and had to crawl around to find it. Ruth was another story being very sensitive to pain( don't even ask her about her sty the week of the 8th grade graduation).It was months , literally, before she would insert or remove them by herself. One scene is indelibly imprinted on my mind. I can see her backed into corner of the bathroom, between the toilet and the wall, where a very cute someone is sweetly inserting them. Anything to get a guy!!!
The thing we all hate at the exam, I am sure, is the choices. I don't mean the wide range of frames or their even more diverse prices. I am referring to the exam itself.
"Which is better, one or two?"
After the third try I feel crossed eyed, frustrated ( easy for an obsessive/compulsive who wants to give perfect answers) and totally unsure if my answers are even intelligible. I am always amazed that I can see out of the lenses that are prescribed as a result of my exam. A true test of my endurance. But even more so of my Optometrist's.
On my way home I was pondering again the exam question,"which is better?" Actually, I want the best, don't you?
My Doctor and I were laughing about some of our experiences with Low Vision patients. They often seemed to think that we were holding out on them, as though we had better glasses or magnifiers that we would only dispense to them if they nagged us, bribed us,or pushed us to the wall. How illogical. Why would we withhold the very best for their needs?
God seems like that to many people. They assume that God has a better plan, a better way, a different way, that they can plead for, bribe him for or whatever. But he already gave his best, Jesus. Take him as his word.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    During my last eye exam, I had a panic attack, feeling completely sure that my answers to the "which is better, this, or this" were all wrong. When my Optometrist was done, I asked, did that make sense. Very sweetly, she replied, "Actually no, you were all over the place." This may explain her sentencing me to glasses for a month. Failure to pass the eye exam.

    - Deb

     

Post a Comment

<< Home