Mother Mary Says

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Don't you hate it?

Today a dear friend had knee surgery. I had on my agenda to get there when she arrived at the hospital to pray with her before they took her back to prep her. How was I to know that such a plan would be another lesson in the retirement dance. And as a two for the price of one, another lesson in flexibility or cooperation (a better tolerated word than submission) was also in store.
We had a nice Valentine’s breakfast complete with turkey bacon, scrambled eggs, applesauce and French puffs. Next, Jon took the dog to the park while I cleaned up the kitchen mess.
Then we had our scheduled walk, this day including a friend who was very chatty. So chatty, that I began to worry about getting home to get ready to go to the hospital. Sure enough, the friend even followed us home to chat in the yard with Jon about his new ‘finds’ ( the subject of another blog). I hurried in to change and grab a quick lunch.
I ate my leftover pizza from yesterday and was fuming inside.
“ We are going to be late and I wanted to go sooner and why can’t this go according to MY timetable.” On and on the thoughts raced, making me a very poor Valentine to say the least.
Jon came in and had his lunch and I was probably, well to be honest, surely was not very congenial.
“I’m ready when you are ready.” Hint, hint, nag, nag.
“ I’ll be ready in a minute. We are not doing the surgery ourselves you know”.
Finally we headed out to the hospital. Wouldn’t you know, we drove up to the parking garage just as our friends were also arriving, NOT ‘LATE’ AT ALL.
Jon was so sweet saying” See, we got here at just the right time”.
And we did. UGH!
So what was the point of all that fuming?
Nothing was gained but a poor attitude.
No time was lost but the time I spent angry.
My agenda was accomplished.
So why did I have to think that my timetable was the only reasonable one and why waste all that time being huffy?
I guess I was trying to pedal our bicycle built for two alone. And have the scratchy attitude to prove it.
Ah, retirement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home