Mother Mary Says

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Shoes and Nails

Yesterday I went to a Christmas party. There were 39 other nice ladies, some I knew, some I didn't. It was a progressive dinner with lots of good food, more than we could eat at each house.
The problem for me began when I noted upon arrival that I had not chosen the 'right' shoes. Everyone had on black shoes- boots or whatever. For whatever reason I had not chosen my shoes so carefully and began to focus on what I did not have that measured up. In hindsight, I should have taken them off and tucked them under my purse. In truth , no one looked at my shoes except me.
Then I battled with not knowing most of the ladies or how to find a group to join without looking needy. Again, all I focused on was ME. So many nice ladies to get to know and I did find a new friend or two.
At dinner, the subject came up about nails. I hate my hands, having creeping cuticle that seems to grow a inch a day and nails that split and crack. I have tried to polish them but it seems to disappear before the day is out. As they talked about their nails, I hid my hands under the table( with my shoes). Again the focus in my mind was ME.
What could have been a nice evening was spoiled by my self- conscious mindset. And note that the first word is SELF.
UGH.
I know that Jesus told a parable about a wedding banquet . The master of ceremonies noticed one man who did not have wedding clothes on. He was thrown out. Boy am I glad that the ladies saw my heart and not my shoes and nails. They, like God, did not focus on outward appearances but on the heart. Now if I can cut myself some slack and do the same.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger madhu said…

    I really loved your article and even I have been in your shoes and if good people around we can come over self- conscious. But still I didn't want to
    mess up the up coming parties, so I have purchase Timberland shoes and ready for the party.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home