Mother Mary Says

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Knitting

I has been said that I am craft challenged.
I am not allowed to have a sewing machine because of a hideous skirt I made years ago. Indeed it was hideous and probably could have made it in the Guinness book of records. The worst part it is that I wore it to church on Easter Sunday , humiliating my husband and myself.
My mom paid for sewing lessons when I was in elementary school. I fear she wasted her money. I can sew on buttons and darn a sock, but that is about it. Well, except for the expected apron in High School. That too would have been better left unworn.
I tried counted cross stitch, but it made my eyes goofy.
I did learn to crochet while we lived in Idaho out of necessity since the gals gathered and crocheted and I had nothing to do with my hands( Maybe I should have taken up smoking instead?). The problem is that my rows tended to increase and decrease randomly.
Years ago my mother also taught me to knit but I found it boring so gave up.
About 1 1/2 years ago my dear friend Denise encouraged me to knit and I began with a scarf. It was so easy and fast that thus began the year everyone in my friendship list got one. I have graduated to baby afghans and lap blankets and other things.
I have discovered how relaxing it is, while watching TV( as long as it is not a mystery where I have to pay attention to every detail). I even can knit and 'read' by listening to the book on CD!
The key is the pattern. Being Obsessive/ Compulsive I have a chart so that I will not lose my place and ruin the pattern. I mark off when I have finished each row so I an put it down and pick it up again at the right spot.
I wish I could say that I never make mistakes! HA! It is not funny how you can know something and forget it the next time you pick up the work. That happened recently with a dish cloth I am making. I forgot how to carry the second color yarn until I needed it. Denise had to help me twice. Once on the phone and once in person. I have it down again now. Well, I think I have.
Today I thought, once again, about how David describes God as a knitter too! Check this out:
'You formed my inward parts. You knit me together in my Mother's womb.'
God knits with a pattern in mind- His. I prayed thanking God that when he knit me together, the 'flaw' in my pancreas was not a mistake but part of the grand design he made. That makes me think of the afghan I made for Jenn's baby which had 'holes' around the border. They were planned holes, part of the pattern.
While at times it feels like that 'poor plumbing', as Jon calls it, is a mistake, I know that God's pattern was 'flawless' and with David I choose to say:
I will give thanks to you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works. My soul knows it full well.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Stay with the knitting.....it is a passion of mine and I know it'll get easier for you with every project. I enjoy your blog...puts a smile on my face.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home