Mother Mary Says

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

I'm in recovery

On the shopping trip I mentioned yesterday with Deborah and Mick, I was appalled with the mess in every aisle at the store. Take the sweater department. There were XL sweaters on the small shelf and not just a few. All the sweaters on that small shelf were XL. We never did find ANY smalls.
Or how about the shirts- long and short sleeve all mixed together, let alone separated sizes. The racks were all helter skelter. I found myself organizing the rack as Mick tried on some shirts. I took the long sleeves back to their rack and so on. I grew more and more overwhelmed. I have to walk away saying to myself:
" I am in recovery.
I am in recovery.'
But the underwear, or 'men's furnishings department' pushed my OCD over the edge. The whole aisle was mixed up mismatched, shoved here and there. I do not think it just happened that morning either. How can they run a store like that? It made my head explode, well almost.
At the checkout, I lined up the boxes of jelly bellys, much to the dismay of my family.
Due to a sweater emergency,( ask her about it) Deborah and I have to dash to Mervyn's to find a top. No problem . She is a good shopper and found two right away. While she tried them on, I tried to avoid looking at the piles of mixed up clothes.
"I'm in recovery, I'm in recovery" I told myself louder than before.
She exited the dressing room, all smiles. Both fit and the prices were right.
Then it hit us, the great long lines- about 30 people deep at each checkout.
" Let's just go Mom, I'm hungry".
That is when I knew I WAS in recovery . I grabbed her tops and dumped them wherever. She rushed out behind me, dumbfounded.
God loves order too, but he does not need to organize to achieve it. He brings it when he shows up.
Sometimes he calms the storm. Sometimes he calms his child. He speaks peace to his people. He extends peace to every man. He is the source of peace through Christ.
Real recovery for me is to have the peace of God, that peace which passes all understanding, even in the midst of a helter skelter world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home