Mother Mary Says

Monday, November 27, 2006

Black Friday

I was so proud of myself and that should have been the warning. I read an article on Thursday before the family arrived about Black Friday. I had never heard the term before and this piece explained that is it called Black Friday because people get up to shop while it is still black. I could not wait to share that with someone.
My chance came when my son in law and grandson were heading out early Friday to shop ‘til they dropped. I imparted my jewel of info and found I was all wrong. It is called that because if merchants have been in the red all year, this is the day they will find their finances in the black. I sure felt dumb.
Another thing in the article I read was that 47% said that they were shopping for themselves , not for gifts. That was enlightening to me. I always thought it was the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. Well, I guess, it is for one half of the population.
I have to admit that I was out in that crowd briefly with Deborah and Mick. And true to the article they purchased things they needed, like sox and underwear. Not very exciting, not near as exciting as the Jeremy and Gabe shopping experience.
That afternoon we found in the mail a catalog for gift giving. Nothing new, as we have been getting them for a couple of weeks. But this catalog was unique. It was for giving gifts to the poor of the world whom we do not know but who need more than another video game or new camcorder. In truth we are so rich in this country, even the poorest citizens.
We are excited about giving some fish or chickens to meet the needs of a village . Jesus said that it the means most when you give to someone who can’t give in return. In so doing, you are giving unto Him.
There was talk between Deborah and I about going to deliver our livestock( she is partial to goats). What a life changing experience that would be. Stay tuned for an update on this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home