Mother Mary Says

Monday, January 09, 2006

Pots

Jon and I belong to the garden club at church. We have done several things together as a group and we even have a blog about events. Our latest thing is a garden cart in the foyer of church where visitors can come and have a plant potted up while we visit with them and answer any questions. We needed many things to begin this project but one was critical, besides the plants- pots.
We decided to decorate the pots before we used them. So last Tuesday evening we had a group time for stenciling and 'fellowship'. Now Jon is very familiar with stenciling since he had a country craft business several years ago. But I am craft- challenged, to say the least. When we arrived, several were already busy stenciling and Jon got right busy. I circled the table, selected a pot and then circled again trying to decide on a stencil. Everyone else was busy and I was just walking around feeling intimidated. How to begin??? Well, I told myself, you have to have paint and a brush so I selected those items and added them to my pot and stencil. Then I circled the table again. Oh how I hated to begin; it was too scary. What if I goofed or my pot was ugly or less than perfect?
But I knew that the time had come and I just had to jump in. And so I began, my experiment with stenciling. Mine was probably not as creative as the others, but shock of shocks, I liked the project. It was fun. Why had I shied away for all these years? It did not take perfection, just a start.
And that is when it hit me that reaching out to God is a lot like that. We think about it, we circle around it, we gather a Bible, a church address and maybe even a Christian friend. But the time comes when we have to make a decision to begin. No one can do it for us. We must decide and follow through and we will find, just as I did with pot painting, that it is way more than we thought, more pleasant and more fulfilling.
So decide to begin. Reach out to God. He is reaching out to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home