Mother Mary Says

Monday, January 02, 2006

Beans

I was spoiled as a child, in many ways. I am sure that my brother would agree. But the way that comes back to roost is my eating.
First off, my Father did all the cooking. He had been a cook in the Navy and that carried over into his private life. A story is told of my Mom cooking in the early weeks of their marriage. She made a tuna casserole and my Father, being kind, said how good it was. The story goes on to say that she made it every night for 30 days. After that my Father took over and did all the cooking.
When I came along, the baby in the family, I was never made to eat anything I did not want to eat. I shudder to tell that about myself now. I told you I was spoiled. I missed out on so many things. For example, I never ate strawberries because I thought that the seeds would be yucky. After our Ruth was born, they served Strawberry shortcake and I was so hungry that I ate it. Wow! Had I missed a great thing. To this day, I can't get enough strawberries.
The only vegetables we were served were peas, carrots and corn. Oh, and spinach. Somehow I tried and loved that!
Recently Jon has developed high triglycerides! So our MD has suggested a Mediterranean diet- lots of beans, lentils, fish, olive oil, and plenty of fruits and vegetables. Did I tell you I hate beans, can't stand to look at them, refuse to try them. UGH!!!
But I knew that someone day I would have to learn to eat them. I guess that that day has come. Today I spent the morning with a dear friend. I talked to her about the changes we needed to make and my inability to cook beans or eat them. She took the bull by the horns and showed me how to cook pinto beans. It was so simple. While they were cooking we spent some time praying for each other. She prayed for God to teach me the things I needed to know and to come and cook with me. I had this picture in my mind of Jesus with a chef's hat on and an apron, giving my cooking lessons in my kitchen. I made me cry and smile at the same time. My friend also prayed that I would learn to like beans. Now that is a tall order.
But I have to tell you that she gave me taste and they were not bad at all. She sent me home with some and I actually created a diner around them, adding hot homemade bread and a fruit salad. And miracle of miracles I have a second helping!
Nothing is too hard for God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home