Mother Mary Says

Saturday, December 03, 2005

The pillow

I am taking a survey and I want honest answers. How many pillows do you have the you can't sleep on and use for company, to fill pillow shams, etc? We seem to have more than our share. And as you may guess, we have just gained another
About ten years ago I acquired a buckwheat pillow and loved it. I loved it so much that when it got left at a motel I had them mail it back at my expense.
Then six years ago I developed herniated discs in my neck and switched to a cervical pillow with memory foam. Jon took over my buckwheat pillow, though he had teased it was a bean bag when I was it's owner. He claimed I crunched every time I turned on it.
Since the accident, Jon has had extra neck pain and we decided to get him a new pillow. Our first attempt was a memory foam on sale 50% off. At $49.00 it was expensive but we felt if it made a difference it was worth it. Well, he did not make it one night. I had to take it back.
The next day we were at the Chiropractor for our scheduled visit and Jon tried and selected one of their pillows. It was cheaper at $38.00 and that was that. Or so I thought.
Bedtime brought his mumbling about why had I left the plastic on it. How could he possibly sleep when it crunched? Silly me. I kept quiet though I knew if he took it off we probably could not return it. I should not have been so skeptical. Right?Wrong! Of course he hated it and we can't take it back so we now have another useless pillow.
Who knew there were so many shapes, sizes and depths of pillows. One size does NOT fit all.
What is the goal of a pillow anyway? It is to support the head of a sleeping person. Could be a shoulder, a lap or memory foam. The purpose is the same- rest. That got my mind going. Where did Jesus talk about pillows? Two passages came to mind:
In one Jesus said,' the Son of Man doesn't have a place to lay his head. In a word, no pillow or permanent home.
In the second passage He said," Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest." I thought about Jesus as my pillow, my support for my head, my thinking so I can relax and gain spiritual rest. And ,unlike physical pillows ,he fits all weary souls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home